Saturday 28 November 2015

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Model/Fluff

The Leviathan Siege Dreadnought in all its awesomeness


Okay I want to start of by saying how amazing this model looks! I've always been a huge fan of the Space Marine Dreadnoughts and the fluff behind them but the Leviathan is definitely my favourite. I don't actually like the standard Dreadnought you can buy in your local store as its far too boxy and its size is scaled down a lot.

How big a standard dreadnought should be. Oh and I love 40k artwork!


Fluff wise the Leviathan, to quote forgeworld, is;

Created in limited numbers in the latter days of the Great Crusade, the Leviathan pattern Siege Dreadnought was developed in secret on Terra, away from the pervasive oculars of the Mechanicum. Its massive frame incorporates hybridised technologies, some dating back into the dim past of humanity.

Towering over later Imperial walker patterns, this heavily armoured dreadnought is savagely powerful. It was designed for siege warfare and primarily armed with close combat and support weaponry that can rend buildings, vehicles and flesh alike; though it is no less effective when armed with the powerful and esoteric short ranged weaponry uniquely developed for it. The Leviathan’s oversized reactor allows it to bear weapons more powerful than other classes of dreadnought, and also powers reinforced energy fields that surpass those developed for the Contemptor class.

Power has its cost though, and the systems of the Leviathan place a lethal level of strain on the minds its occupants. Those few examples that survive in the armouries of Space Marine Chapters into the 41st Millennium are reserved for the direst of circumstances. Marines who find themselves interred within a Leviathan will pay a heavy toll; either with their life, or their reason.

I find the background of the model very interesting. The idea of it being developed on Terra rather than Mars is something that I don't think I've read about before and makes me wonder if the Emperor himself had a hand in its creation. Its also interesting that it was developed without the Mechanicus' influence as it might mean new systems were actually invented for the Leviathan, something the Mechanicum considers tech-heresy.

I wouldn't like to be the unfortunate Space Marine who has to pilot this thing though as the whole sanity-destroying part doesn't sound particularly fun.

It's pretty huge as well something that I prefer since it makes the model look more impressive on the tabletop.





The weapon options also look pretty good with the Storm Cannon being my favourite, I can imagine a pair of these monsters both with dual Storm Cannons being my favoured loadout. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one of these soon as it is in my top 5 models ForgeWorld has put out for 30k. Next time I'll be reviewing the actual 40k/30k rules for this model.

If you want to pick one up for yourself then head over to:
 http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Leviathan-Pattern-Siege-Dreadnought-Body

No comments:

Post a Comment